Tired of acne breakouts and popping zits? Acne is a chronic, stubborn problem for many people. TwinLuxe co-founder Anthony Tsai has endured a life-long struggle with acne and has finally figured out a winning recipe for minimizing and avoiding breakouts. He has done no scientific studies to support his below tips but does have 20+ years of
personal experience fighting acne. So anyone who isn’t blessed with perfect skin, please keep these 8 simple tips, which are listed in order of importance, in mind to maximize your chances of achieving a perfect complexion:
1. Avoid touching your face. This is the most important tip of all! Minimize touching your face because not only are your hands and fingers dirty, they are covered with oil from normal body secretions and bacteria. If you tousle your hair frequently throughout the day, keep in mind your hair follicles secrete oil. So that means anytime you touch your hair, you’ll be adding oil to your fingertips. And you don’t want to transfer that oil to your face. Having an oily face will clog up your pores which then leads to acne breakouts.
2. Avoid eating chocolate. For some reason, Anthony always noticed a breakout of cystic acne a few days later after eating chocolate, whether M&M’s, Hershey’s chocolate bars, chocolate chip cookies, etc. Cystic acne is the worst kind of acne to battle because they are acne cysts, sometimes painful, deep below the skin and usually last for several weeks. There hasn’t been any scientific research that says chocolate causes acne; but if you search on google, you’ll find many people experiencing similar acne breakouts after eating chocolate. So if you have a sweet tooth, partially give that up by avoiding chocolate sweets.
3. Wash your pillow case every week. Make sure you don’t put your face on an oily, dirty pillow case every night. So be sure to wash your pillow case every week when you do laundry. You’ll be amazed how helpful this is! And to go even further to minimize oil transfer onto your pillow case, try taking your showers at night. That way if you use hair gel, wax, or paste, you don’t transfer any of that to your pillow case.
4. Drink plenty of water every day. Hydration is one of the important keys for healthy skin. Drink eight 8-oz glasses of water daily. Water helps gets rid of all the toxins in your body.
5. Use an exfoliating face wash. We suggest using an exfoliating face wash such as the TwinLuxe Renewing Face Wash & Scrub at least bi-weekly or weekly to help remove dead skin and clear pores. This will help with removing blackheads and smoothing out your skin for a clear complexion. Be sure to only use gentle exfoliating washes that do not irritate your skin, leaving you with unwanted redness. The TwinLuxe scrub product is gentle enough for daily use.
6. Shave with a manual razor. Most people these days shave with an electric razor because of its convenience. Most men usually don’t have 10 or 15 minutes in the morning to shave with a shaving cream and/or shaving brush and razor. So on the weekends when you do have more time and not in a rush to head out the door to work, whip out the manual razor and treat yourself to a traditional shave. Shaving with a manual razor helps exfoliate your skin. You’ll also achieve a closer shave with a manual blade than with an electric razor since electric razors don’t seem to be able to cut peach fuzz hairs as well.
7. Avoid the sun and use sunscreen. Long exposure to the sun leads to sunburnt skin which then causes excessive oil secretion. So try to avoid long exposures to the sun while outdoors. Use a high SPF sunscreen such as the multi-award winning TwinLuxe Anti-Aging SPF Moisturizer which is a SPF40 sunscreen. Also try wearing a hat to cover your face from the harmful sun rays.
8. Avoid drinking alcohol. If you drink a lot of alcohol during dinner or at night while going out, when you go to bed later that day, you’ll notice your body heats up more than normal. Your body is at work trying to remove the alcohol from your system. This will then cause your body to secrete more oil. More oil always means the higher probability of an acne breakout.
Fighting acne can be troublesome for certain people. One of the worse things that can happen to you in the morning is to look in the mirror and see a new pimple or zit on your face, nose, or neck. Prevent acne breakouts by following TwinLuxe co-founder’s tips. It has helped him over the years to conquer acne.
If you have any other simple skin care tips, please do post a reply and share your tip(s) with us all!